Oh the Gold Coast a place we called home for 12 years. a city action packed you could never find yourself bored with.
Commonly known for it’s beautiful sandy beaches and quality long coastline it’s certainly Australia’s number one holiday destination and party hub.
300 days of sunshine a year, and they weren’t kidding, factor 50 and air conditioning become your best friends.
Full of top eateries, adventure and only 40 minutes from the rainforest walks of the Gold Coast Hinterland the Gold Coast has it all.
Situated on Australia’s most travelled coast the east coast lying on the Queensland side of the Queensland and New South Wales border.
Covientally just over an hour north from the the popular relaxed coastal town of Byron Bay and similary the other way an hour from the largest city and Queenslands capital Brisabane.
The original name for this coast was “The South Coast” however name the Gold Coast has been about since the 1950’s and was used in terms to describe what was fast becoming a holiday destination between the area Collongatta (south) and Southport (north). Which in turn lead to the name change in 1958 due to its popularity between businesses and locals alike.
In the early 1960’s high rise building and holiday appartments started to become more apparent and by the 70’s the boom of such buildings really took off.
With its ever growing popularity and with its high demand in 1981 the Gold Coast Airport in the southern region Coolongatta opened allowing a more convenient and easier entry than Brisbane.
Throughout the eighties the city continued to grow momentum and big tourism projects were taking place with the introduction of Sea World, Dreamworld, Movie world, Wet and Wild and White Water World. These acquisitions really put the city of the Gold Coast on the map.
Fast forward to the 21st century and the Gold Coast is a busy, vibrant and an entertainment hub for any holiday maker and traveller.
The Gold Coast name has grown and grown and most notably hosting the 2018 Commonwealth Games bringing and developing an even bigger infrastructure.
- Q1 Observation Deck –
- Surfers Paradise beach front
- Warner Brothers Movie World
- Mount Tamborine
- The Star casino
- Pacific Fair shopping centre –
- Miami Marketta
Top free things to do
- Springbrook Mountain – https://explorespringbrook.com/
- Eagle Heights North Tamborine – https://visittamborinemountain.com.au/
- Oceanview walk Burleigh Head National Park – https://www.queensland.com/en-ie/journey/oceanview-walk-burleigh-head-national-park
- The Spit Main Beach – https://www.queensland.com/en-ie/destination-information/the-spit
- Surfers Paradise Night Markets – http://www.surfersparadise.com/beachfront-markets
- Bundall Farmers Markets – https://hota.com.au/events/farmers-market/
- Sunset on Burleigh hill – https://www.destinationgoldcoast.com/places-to-see/burleigh-heads/attractions/john-laws-park
Our Choice Restaurants
- Social Eating House – http://socialeatinghouse.com.au/
- Bonita Bonita – http://www.bonitabonita.com.au/
- Etsu – http://www.etsu.com.au/
- Edgewater Dining – https://edgewaterdining.com.au/
- Can Tho Kitchen – https://canthokitchen.com.au/
- Fu ManChu – https://www.fumanchu.net.au/
- Brooklyn Depot – https://www.brooklyndepotsurfersparadise.com/
- Pethers Rainforest Retreat – https://pethers.com.au/
- Surfers Paradise Hilton – https://hiltonsurfersparadise.com.au/
- Chevron Renaissance Surfers Paradise – https://www.chevrontowersresort.com.au/
- QT Gold Coast – https://www.qthotels.com/gold-coast/
- Palazzo Versache – http://www.palazzoversace.com/
- Sheraton Mirage – https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/oolgs-sheraton-grand-mirage-resort-gold-coast/
Our must Do’s
- Purling Brook Falls Circuit – https://www.queensland.com/en-ie/journey/purling-brook-falls-circuit-springbrook-national-park
- Natural Bridge Springbrook Mountain – https://www.queensland.com/en-ie/attraction/natural-bridge-springbrook-national-park
- Miami Marketta – https://www.miamimarketta.com/
- Sunset on Burleigh Hill – https://www.destinationgoldcoast.com/places-to-see/burleigh-heads/attractions/john-laws-park
- Evening meal at Edgewater Dining (look out over the beautiful evening lights of the Gold Coast) https://edgewaterdining.com.au/
- Uber – https://www.uber.com/ie/en/
- Tram – https://ridetheg.com.au/
- Bus – https://translink.com.au/gold-coast
- Trains – https://translink.com.au/gold-coast
Want to read some of our Gold Coast blog posts check out the link below.
Thanks for stopping by and we hope this Gold Coast travel guide can help you out
Don’t forget your comments
Check out our latest Instagram posts below and above come connect to our social media accounts