Roscommon Castle, Roscommon, Ireland

Roscommon Castle

After recently moving to Roscommon, we thought we should get out and explore. Me and my son set of for wander round the new neighborhood. And what we came across was the ruins of the Roscommon Castle and Loughnaneane Park.

As soon as I heard of the castle i wanted to visit. I have often loved visiting ruins it’s really a place to let the imagination flow and wander what these sorts of structures where once like when operational.

Location

Set about 2 minute drive from the town center, best access and parking is just off Castle Street and down Castle Lane.

Roscommon has a town center train station located 3 minute drive to Roscommon Castle. Busus are available also via Bus Eireann

A Brief History Of The Castle

The Roscommon Castle now in ruins, this large and striking 13th-century Norman castle was once of Hugh O’Connor, the King of Connaught. It features a quadrangular plan with rounded bastions at the corners and a double-towered entrance gate.

The castles 7 Norman structure, built back in 1269 by then Robert de Ufford, on lands which were taken from an Augustinian priory.

The castle was laid to siege by the Connacht King Aodh O’Connor in 1272. Eight years on, and then again in the possession of the English garrison and fully restored. 1340 came around and the O’Connors had regained possession and held it until 1569, to which it then fell to Sir Henry Sidney, who at the time was the Lord Deputy.

Our Visit To The Castle

The Roscommon Castle ruins is free to visit and is its surrounding walking tracks and play areas. Open all year round with no opening or closing times.

The castle from across Loughnaneane park looks beautiful and as you can see the structure is largely still well visible. Currently a few restoration projects are also ongoing helping to keep this site as well maintained as possible.

The Castle

The entrance to the castle through the stone arch is grand and very well maintained. A bridge at the front of the castle is not the original but is there for access to all visitors, With easy ramps and railings for elderly or wheelchair access.

Once inside the ruins become more visible and you can really see where it all once stood. The extremely high walls and stunning windows show the formation of the former 3 floored castle.

I do love to sit back and absorb places like this and try to imagine what it once was like when it was operational. I think imagination is great could you imagine the people who once resided here and how they went about there lives.

The stairwell access still remains but due to the ruins lead to nowhere. They are gated shut due to safety, and the obvious ruins of the site. But these would of been access to the other levels of the castle.

One of my favourite shots from the back of the castle. Luckily I managed to capture the glaring sunlight through the windows and gate. This back gate leads out onto a grassed area which would of once been part of the castles gardens and courtyard.

Another shot, and this time of one of the bastions. This would of been built so to allow defense fire in several directions. Again the obvious signs of ruins and what once was a castle. It’s easy to see here the former castle was over 3 floors with the still present window frames.

The Park

A very well maintained walking track adjacent to the castle and a lake situated perfectly in the center of Loughnaneane park. Full of ducks, which we now regularly enjoy going to with the kids to feed them. Very friendly and always welcome for some bread if those magpies don’t sweep in to quickly.

Walking tracks around the pond to enjoy and to stretch the legs. There is also a outer walking track for longer walks. Al very well maintained as is the whole area.

Also situated in this park is a good quality well equipped playground. With lots of climbing and adventures for the kids again extremely well maintained and like new. Plenty of space for kids with an array of features for all ages.

This place is great way to kill an hour or so in the morning and would be a perfect picnic spot in the summer and somewhere to bring the family to enjoyed a great bit of fresh air.

Fitness Machines

Loughnaneane park is well equipped with street fitness machines, this is great way for people to keep fit whilst out for a walk. Again very well maintained and never to crowded. Machines for different parts of the body.

Local Refreshments

A favourite spot of ours and somewhere we like to pick up a coffee to bring for our walks is Rogue and Co in Roscommon Town Centre.

Only a 5 – 6 minute walk from the castle and situated on the high street in Roscommon is Rogue & Co is a trendy cafe offering great food and beverages.

High recommendations the double smash burger and the haloumi burger, or for early risers the smashed avo on sourdough topped with siracha is always a winner.

Equally as mention, a pre walk stop take away coffees and homemade scones are always a hit.

Note: Due to the pandemic level 5 restrictions are in place in Ireland so restaurants are currently working as take aways only. Please check ahead with the venue itself below

Rogue and Co Cafe Roscommon

County Roscommon Things To Do

Roscommon is a county steeped in history, we have had the priveledge to be here for 3 years now and in that time have seen what this county has to offer. And we are now delighted to offer our ultimate guide to County Roscommon.

Our guide includes our top 5 musts, walk, hotels, restaurants and a few little extras. Make sure to check it out.

Please take the time to sign up to our newsletter and don’t miss a thing

Published by chalkandcheesetravels

We are adventure seekers who love to explore the world. So one day, we decided to write about it here is our story so far

55 thoughts on “Roscommon Castle, Roscommon, Ireland

1. It is beautiful isn’t it. We are so lucky now to have it on our doorstep.
      Roscommon has so many wonderful places to visit.
      Thanks for taking the time to read

1. The ruins look like a fun place to go exploring! And it really is true that it’s the free exhibits that are the sweetest; glad you had fun spending time within your “backyard” of the country!

1. I do love it and we keep finding spots that we never knew about

2. ThingsHelenLoves – Hello, so pleased to meet you. I'm Helen. I am a military wife, mother, friend, traveller, lover of all things vintage and consumer of more coffee than could be considered sensible. Im blessed with a life that allows for a lot of traveling and opportunities to try new things and I love blogging about them. I hope someone, somewhere will also enjoy reading about them.
    ThingsHelenLoves says:

Lovely. I love a good ruin, something about them captures my imagination!

1. Its beautiful and you can try and imagine what it was all once like.
      Thanks for stopping by
      Have a great day

3. Sadie – Saint Louis, MO – Sadie is a would-be writer, wife, mother, blogger, wishful world traveler, over-aged manga addict, nail biter, newbie knitter, passionate reader, internet dependent, American woman in her early forties. She has lived all over the US and in the UK. She waited a lot of tables in university, where she managed degrees in Anthropology (BSc)—minors in Archaeology and Comparative Religion—International Criminology (MA), and Social Change/Stats (MSc). She then spent nine years investigating allegations of abuse and neglect with the Missouri and Florida Departments of Children and Families. She's currently coming to terms with being middle-aged.
    Sadie says:

I love visiting places like this. Can you imagine what it was really like to live there when it was whole, both the good and the bad? It blows my mind.

1. Exactly its places like this where your imagination can run wild and think what it once was.
      Thanks for stopping by

4. Vinn – Cyprus – Vinn has been living and working in the middle east for more than 10 years. She started traveling since 2007 mostly in Southeast Asian countries, middle east regions, Greece and Cyprus. Currently in Cyprus for another round of adventures! Catch her at VinnEnRoute!
    Vinn says:

Love the photos you took! Certainly a good place for walks or spend time. Thanks for the history. I’m wondering how the beautiful the castle’s interior during the glory days!

1. Thank you.
      I think that’s one of the best things with a ruins you can imagine what it once was and you can let the imagination run wild.
      Thanks for stopping b

1. They are brilliant and so beautiful i even love all the old derelict buildings so much history and great to imagine what they once were

5. Charley – Hi! My name is Charley and welcome to my little travel blog! After visitng South Africa in 2016, I caught the travel bug and have since been to 20 countries, ranging from New Zealand to Ukraine! Undaunted Adventure is a travel blog full of tips, tricks and my favourite memories. Hopefully they'll give you some inspiration to travel and to give you some hints of where to go! Roam Free - Travel Undaunted.
    Charley says:

Wow, this sounds amazing!! I love visiting castles so if I’m ever in that area of Ireland I’ll have to add this to my list!

6. Roscommon Castle ruins still look strong. I bet this castle must be gorgeous when it was alive. I would like to visit this castle someday. Thank you for sharing this information with me.

1. I love to see places like this and imagine what they once were

7. Wow, it’s actually amazing how well preserved the Roscommon Castle is! Your photos are really stunning! I hope I will be able one day to visit this place! Thanks for this post!

8. jasonlikestotravel – I'm Jason and from a little place in England. Here to just talk about my various adventures. Hopefully you find some inspiration or just enjoy hearing my stories :)
    jasonlikestotravel says:

The castle looks like a great place to visit, even better having it right on your doorstep! 🙂

9. Lannie Travels – Isle of Islay – Full time aid-worker, part time food and travel blogger. Love experiencing the world through its food culture! Happily fueled by coffee, great food, and whisky.
    Lannie Travels says:

I’ve never heard of Roscommon. But I definitely love me some castle ruins. But not only that, ones where there’s a nice walk 🙂

1. Its a great place for a quick visit and stretch the legs

1. Free is always good. A great local spot to have

10. fitlifeandtravel – Shannon is the founder of Fitlifeandtravel and hopes to inspire you everyday to find adventure no matter where you are. Feel alive! Life Maximized!
    fitlifeandtravel says:

I can see that this castle has a wealth of history behind it. The ruins look absolutely beautiful with the water nearby it! Gorgeous captures of the park as well, I think I would thoroughly enjoy a stroll around that property!

1. It is beautiful and so lucky to e on our doorstep and who doesn’t love a bit of history

11. Worldthrumyeyes – Hey. I am Maria. Good to meet you virtually. Born and raised in Kent, England. I like to write content that sparks a conversation - what's the point otherwise? I write from a personal perspective about everyday life, travel, food, music, creative arts and whatever is on my mind. Freelance writer. Travel, book edits, copy editing, opinion pieces. Available for work projects. Contactable for collaborations. PR Friendly.
    Worldthrumyeyes says:

Looks so peaceful! Ruins are fascinating to explore.

12. I love to sit back and absorb places like this, too. It must have been such a bustling place at one point. If only those crumbling walls could talk.

1. Its great to let that imagination run wild

13. Jan – Hi, My name is Jan. I'm founder of Chimptrips and proud mum to my two amazing boys. Together with my husband we have a passion for independent travel and discovering new places. We love to explore and have adventures, both at home and abroad and want to inspire others.
    Jan says:

What a lovely castle. Great pictures.

1. We are very lucky to have it so close to home the whole family loves it

14. kasiawrites – Kasiawrites Cultural Travel Blog is about adventure, exploration and discovery with a focus on responsible travel. An exciting way of learning about the world as well as self-reflection and personal freedom. A place for curious travellers, looking for new experiences, discovering new things and learning something new along the way.
    kasiawrites says:

What a gorgeous spot for a castle! It must have been spectacular when new.

1. I could only imagine it would of been stunning

1. Cant beat it and a great day to wonder round

15. Carpe Diem Eire – Hi I'm John. Together with my wife Beata we travel part time through Ireland and Europe whenever the opportunity allows it. My travels focus on road trips and city breaks. I have an avid interest in history and culture. My travel style is a high energy one, as I strive to make the most of my free time. So Carpe Diem in other words. Join me on my travels.
    John Quinn says:

Making full note of the Rogue and Co cafe. Double smash burger yes please. I haven’t been to Roscommon for a few years and it’s longer since I visited the castle. I’m going to fix that this year.

1. Cant beat a good burger especially a double great place and bit of history